RSC Tornado innovative architecture
The new stage in development of innovative RSC Tornado architecture for energy efficient data centers and supercomputing systems allowed RSC Group’s specialists to implement world's first direct liquid cooling for widely available Intel® Xeon®-based standard server boards (from various manufacturers)
, initially designed for traditional systems with air cooling of electronic components, with latest Intel® Xeon Phi™ coprocessors.
This is the third generation of RSC’s energy-efficient solutions for High Performance Computing, cloud environments and data centers.
Powerful solutions with high computing density based on RSC Tornado architecture with direct liquid cooling are designed to solve various customers’ needs. The product line includes RSC DCmicro (16 to 64 nodes), RSC DCmini (64 to 256 nodes) and RSC Data Center (from 2 high dense racks up to dozens of PFLOPS).
Among unique features of RSC Tornado architecture and solutions there are the following:
- Up to 128 х86 servers in a standard 42U rack 80х80х200 cm;
- High-density blade server design based on widely available boards;
- Record-breaking energy efficiency. The system allows achieving an industry-leading Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) of less than 1.06 (the ratio of total amount of power used by a computer data center facility to the power delivered to computing equipment.). This means that maximum 5.7% of the consumed energy by a datacenter will be used for the cooling of the system;
- Record-breaking computing effectiveness ratio — more than 96% for Intel® Xeon® E5-2690 processors in LINPACK benchmark (Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is always on, which provides for clock speed gain of up to 400 MHz in LINPACK);
- Removal of over 100 kW of power from each rack using RSC’s unique liquid cooling design;
- Possibility to use Intel's top-performing server processors with heat dissipation of 135W and Intel Xeon Phi coprocessors, e.g. Intel Xeon E5-2690 Processor (2.9 GHz, 8 cores) and newest highest performing Intel Xeon Phi coprocessors 7120X и 5120D (1.23 GHz, 61 cores);
- High peak performance — over 47 TFLOPS per rack based on Intel x86 architecture with AVX Instruction set and more than 200 TFLOPS with the use of Intel Xeon Phi coprocessors;
- High density — 74 TFLOPS per square meter (using Intel Xeon only) and 312 TFLOPS per sq. m (with Intel Xeon Phi coprocessors);
- High scalability — up to PFLOPS level (dozens of racks);
- Cost effectiveness — operating cost reduction by 60 percent (energy cost saving due to RSC solution operation);
- Compact size — multifold datacenter floor area reduction comparing to traditional air-cooled installations;
- Fully integrated software stack for High Performance Computing — RSC BasIS optimized for high performance computing.
RSC Tornado architecture based solutions are Intel® Cluster Ready certified.
RSC Tornado architecture
based computing nodes